Okay, so I know these aren't photos of smoothies, but this is my version of a smoothie. You can't drink it. You can eat it like ice cream. But the point is, that is has all the same stuff as a smoothie minus something like almond milk. This post isn't really about smoothie or ice cream recipes, but more about the additions that I add to it besides fruit and such. Time to get wild and crazy.
- Cacao Nibs-the main reason I like these little things are because they taste like chocolate. Okay, and they're healthy too with a score of 621 on the antioxidant scale, ORAC. What I really love is that they taste super good with peanut butter and the choco/peanut butter combo is hands down my fave.
- Hemp Hearts-basically they're raw shelled hemp seeds filled with protein and healthy fats, but I like like them most for their nutty flavor. See...I'm easy to please.
- Green Superfood Powder-just some added vitamins that I add my fruit smoothie/ice cream. I like this brand because they're organic. I'm a sucker for the original by Amazing Grass, but I'm a little tempted to try the chocolate flavor.
- Greener Grasses Powder-Athan claims this smells like hay, but I honestly don't taste it at all when I add it. And it always helps to have more greens in your diet, right? Right...
- Nutmeg-the reason that I add nutmeg is because Carla, the Ayurveda practitioner down at the Ranch, says that nutmeg helps us absorb our nutrients better. And guess what? Nutmeg's antioxidant ORAC value is something crazy like 69,640!
What are some healthy additions you add to your smoothies? I'm curious to know...oh, by the way, if you are looking for smoothie recipes or ideas, check out my healthy ice creams and just add almond milk or whatever you prefer.