I got these gorgeous dark sweet cherries from Trader Joe's (I couldn't resist) and I've been eating them with everything. They are so delicious. I'm always pushing myself to eat more salads and greens (which is not always easy!) so I thought why not spruce it up with some cherries? This past week at Rancho La Puerta, they had made a couple different green salads with fruits mixed in. The fruit really added a lot of flavor, one had mangos and another had tangerines.
This particular salad is something really simple that I threw together for lunch the other day. It's pretty basic, but you could add some seeds, nuts or even another type of fruit to make it more interesting. My goal was to make something tasty on the go and to get some raw greens in.
- Red lettuce
- Red onion
- Dark sweet cherries
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Sea salt
- In a bowl add one part olive oil to one part vinegar to one part honey. Mix, add salt and pepper to taste.
- For the salad, wash all the veggies.
- Chop the lettuce and add to a large bowl.
- Chop up about a 1/4 cup of red onion and add to the bowl.
- Add as many cherries as you want. If they had pits, just cut the cherry off of the pits and add to the bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and toss.
This salad took me less then 10 minutes to make. I will definitely be making it again for a quick healthy meal.
I'm back home after being at the ranch for a couple days. The weather was absolutely perfect down there. In the afternoon they hand out popsicles and homemade smoothies...I was in heaven. I took a ballet class yesterday and I am so sore from it! It was a great workout though and our teacher Roni was a delight. Their blog is up and running now too if you want to check it out :)
I hope everyone is having great weather like we here in San Diego right now. I think I'm probably going to have spend a little time out at the pool today to get away from the computer! Have a good weekend everyone!