We all have meals that we crave on a weekly or even daily basis. This is one of my favorite meals (I have many) that I come back to at least once a week when the produce is in season. I like simple meals that let the true flavors of the ingredients shine through. Actually, this meal is partly inspired by the breakfast that Elizabeth Gilbert has in the book Eat Pray Love while in Rome. I was getting so hungry while I was reading it, that I went out and recreated my own. The best thing about this meal is that you can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner...plus it's the perfect portion so you feel full, but light at the same time...amazing!
- 1 Egg
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Kalamata Olives
- Red Onion
- Olive Oil
- Parmesean Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Chop up about 1/8 of a red onion.
- Place the tomatoes, olives and onion on a plate.
- Boil a pot of water and throw the asparagus in there for about 2 to 3 minutes, until they're cooked, but not limp. They cook fast!
- Take the asparagus out after they're done. Place on the plate and grate a little parmesean cheese on top and a pinch of salt.
- Now it's time to cook the egg, I like mine over easy or medium. Spray the pan with olive oil spray (I got mine from Trader Joes). Break open the egg in the pan and cook on medium heat. Flip the egg over when the bottom side is cooked. It's up to you how well done you want your egg, but part of the reason I love this meal is mixing the egg yolk with the veggies.
- When the egg is done, add to the plate and top it with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do. It always reminds me of spring and summer which makes me very happy. What are your favorite dishes this time of year?