As the weather gets warmer, the more I crave frozen fruit treats. They're so refreshing and actually really, really easy to make. A food processor is essential to make homemade fruit sorbets and ice creams, so if you don't have one, I really recommend getting one. You don't need a fancy one either, just a basic model should do the trick. Trust me, it's so worth it. You'll be making delicious frozen treats all summer long.
This particular dessert is more like a sorbet, but when you add the coconut it gives it a almost creamy texture. For me, adding coconut to anything makes it better (yes, I'm obsessed) and the combination of the berries with the coconut is amazing. It's also a vegan dessert too!
- Coconut Manna or creamed coconut (your local health food store should have both of these options).
- Frozen berries (Trader Joe's has a great selection)
- Coconut milk
- Let the frozen berries thaw for about 10 minutes until they're slightly soft. I used blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and cherries.
- Put about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the berries into the food processor.
- The Coconut Manna or creamed coconut may be hard initially, so you may need to place whatever container it is in in warm water to let it melt a little. I actually left the coconut semi hard when I added it to the berries which gave it a sort of crunch. I like the crunchiness, but if you want a more smooth consistency, then definitely warm it up a little.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the Coconut Manna or creamed coconut to the berries.
- Blend in the food processor until is it's almost like a thick paste.
- While blending, drizzle in a little coconut milk until the berries and coconut have the texture of a gelato or sorbet.
- Spoon into a bowl, add extra berries on top and enjoy!
Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. The weather is gorgeous here San Diego! I went for a hike this morning and saw some gorgeous monarch butterflies. It was nice to get out of the house and be in nature which always makes me remember what is most important to me. Until next time ;)...
P.S. I just did an interview at one of my favorite blogs, Organic Beauty Talk. Such a great site on the best of organic beauty products and Brandie, the founder and editor in chief, is awesome! Check it out here.