I was so excited this week to receive my shipment from Mountain Rose Herbs. I got lots of goodies including some beautiful dried chamomile flowers and pink roses. They smell amazing. I have some DIY and beauty ideas swimming around in my head for them at the moment, but the very first thing I wanted to do was create a facial steam. Facial steams are one of the easiest and best ways to pamper your skin. It's seriously is like having a facial at home because it's so relaxing and really leaves your skin feeling refreshed.
The steam is essential for young looking skin because it opens up your pores, plumps up your skin and leaves it feeling supple. Essentially, the hot steam gets your blood flowing which causes your skin to almost glow. It rids your skin of bacteria and it also makes it easier to absorb any moisturizers you use. I highly recommend doing them 2-3 times a week. I know many of us lead very busy lives, but even doing it once a week can make a huge difference in your skin.
- Boil a pot of water with a handful of the dried flowers.
- Once it comes to a boil, pour it in a large bowl.
- Place the bowl on a table where you can sit with your head leaning over it comfortably.
- Take a medium to large towel and place it over your head as you lean over the bowl to trap in the steam.
- Be careful not to get your face too close to the water at first in case the steam is too hot. Gauge how close you can be to the bowl so that you're getting a good steam, but it's not too hot that it burns.
- I usually do this for about 20-40 minutes, just depending on how long I can handle the steam or when the steam starts to wear off.
I usually follow the steam with my lavender coconut milk bath and my coconut oil and honey facial mask. Trust me, this process is so relaxing, it's almost as good as an actual facial. I did it this past weekend and it made me the happiest camper ever! Also, if you have a cough, cold or sinus infection, the steam is a great way to clear your sinuses and air passage ways.
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! It was a nice relaxing one for me. Athan and I caught up on some Mad Men and our new addiction is Game of Thrones. Too many good shows to keep up with! What are your favorite shows you can't miss?