My favorite breakfast is huevos rancheros. I have to get it pretty much whenever we go out for breakfast, it's a must for me. Since I love it so much, I decided to come up with my own healthier version of it that I eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I even eat it multiple times a week, I love it so much! It's great because it's filled with a bunch of raw veggies, but it's also so delicious with the sauteed onions and peppers topped off with guacamole. I'm seriously getting really hungry just thinking about it.
- 1 egg
- half of a yellow onion
- half of a poblano pepper
- 1/4 can of black beans
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 of a red pepper
- 1 lime
- a handful of chopped up red cabbage
- 1 garlic clove
- hot sauce of your choice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Slice the half of the yellow onion and chop up the half of the poblano pepper. Saute both together with olive oil in a covered pan until they are soft.
- While those are cooking, scoop out your one avocado into a bowl. Chop up 1/4 of the red onion and add to the avocado. Mix together. Squeeze a slice of lime into the mixture, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the onions and peppers are getting soft, add the black beans to the pan and cook for a while more until everything is hot.
- Meanwhile, pop the slice of bread in the toaster.
- Once the bread is toasted, place the beans, onions and peppers on top of the bread.
- Chop up the cabbage and the one clove of garlic and place on top of the bean mixture on the bread, then add the guacamole on top.
- Take the egg and cook it in the same pan as you did the beans. I like mine over easy, but you can cook yours any way you like.
- Once the egg is cooked, place on top of the guacamole. Drizzle olive oil, hot sauce and a squeeze of lime on top. Add a dash of salt and pepper and you're done!
I hope you like my version of huevos rancheros! It's super healthy and tasty too! Enjoy...